Now that's my girl!!! A true multi-tasker at heart.No really, we're working on the beginnings of potty training. It's not what I would call "super-easy". So many things seem to come easy for Sofia. Her little brain is wired to want to know things, such as ABC's, words, numbers, sign language, songs and the list goes on... Yet this potty training business just doesn't seem to be something that she is completely in tune with. I've given up forcing it. It has only ended in me feeling frustrated with her. Instead we are now just doing a regular morning routine of potty-time, after breakfast, while watching Elmo Goes Potty (This is the only time of day that seems to be predictable with going potty). She is interested in other people going potty, she thinks it is a great idea, she just doesn't seem to understand her own body's sensations with this. It will come... in time.
I do have to say.... she did it this morning!! We'll take what we get and celebrate her along the way!!
How cute is this picture??
8 comments:
Great picture!
I've heard girls tend to potty train a bit earlier than boys. But with Andrew, we waited until his 3rd birthday to officially begin (and it went FAST). We wrapped up his pull ups as a gift and had a little "potty party" when he put anything in there!
Before then, we did these things that helped:
Read the potty book a LOT.
Potty trained his bear! (fun!)
For the first few weeks, we set the microwave timer for every 30 minutes and he sat on the potty with a special basket of books for 3-5 minutes to see if anything happened (and to get used to the potty).
Good luck! Krissy has had recent success with Kate...maybe she'll have some better tips for girls.
Oh - and as a treat/reward...sticker charts did NOTHING for him. He was much more motivated by M&Ms or getting to call anyone he wanted to tell them about it!
PS - I know you didn't ask for advice...I just couldn't resist.
:-)
She's adorable and so funny! Anniston still comes and goes with the potty thing, but I know they'll get it...we just gotta stay diligent:) Keep up the good work, Mom!
Sounds like she is off to a good start! Being interested in the potty is a big part of the process. As everyone always told me when I was anxious for Braden to get it- he won't go to kindergarten in diapers : ). So....you are right you have some time! Braden never really benefited from stickers either but candy always worked : ). Alli and I must have smart kids!! Ha!
Jenn
we should have a potty party in June when I am in town!?!?!
Graham would like to be invited to the potty party :)
Your girls are beautiful, I've spent lots of blogtime catching up with them!!
That picture will be one of the few u show her future boyfriends she likes. U all did it to me lol.
This is a fantastic picture :) How adorable!
I wouldn't call this "advice", but I'll share what I did. Honestly, I can't say I would or wouldn't recommend it - it had advantages and disadvantages. But I read a book called "Potty training in less than a day" and made my own adaptations to it. In a day and a half (so 3X longer than advertised but still very fast), she was "trained." She had about 3 accidents in the following week, but that was it. If you're interested in more details I can share, but my hesitation is, it's basically potty training boot camp - I'd call it brain washing. We did nothing but talk about peeing in the potty for a day and a half straight. It kinda made us both bonkers, but then it was done. And, with this method they don't have to be showing any interest or aptitude - it's really about when the parent is tired of diapers (which I felt daunted by the idea of 2 in diapers, so that's why I went for it.) So, while I'd probably do it again, I would definitely say the approach is not for everyone and did almost drive me insane :) Isn't being a mom funny???
Post a Comment